Zoning Frequently Asked Questions

Your current insurance agent can help you get flood insurance. Most companies can write a NFIP flood insurance policy for you. If you need more help, www.FloodSmart.gov can provide you with names of local agents that provide NFIP flood insurance. You may also call the toll free number (888) 379-9531 to ask for a flood insurance agent referral.

Flood insurance is an important part of protecting your property. Property in a mapped floodplain is five times more likely to be damaged by a flood than by a fire. There is a 26% chance that such a property will be flooded during a 30 year mortgage.

In NFIP communities, the federal government requires flood insurance for buildings in a Special Flood Hazard Area that are financed through a federally backed mortgage or loan. (Lenders may require flood insurance for other types of loans as well.)

If you live outside a mapped floodplain your property may still be damaged by a flood. About 25% of all flood damage occurs outside mapped flood zones. Standard home insurance policies do not cover flooding due to rising waters.

There is no fence ordinance in the Town limits.  We do recommend staying five feet off adjoining property lines.

It is possible to put a mobile home in the R-2 zoning district, however, this does require a Conditional Use Permit which must be approved by the Planning Board and Town Council.  All mobile homes must meet the current building code standard.

If you need to apply for a septic tank permit you must call the Rutherford County Health Department at 828-287-6100.

The Town of Rutherfordton does have a high grass ordinance.  Any grass over 12 inches high is in violation.  Weekly checks through town and complaints called in are how violations are found.

If you have bulky items or extra trash that needs to be picked up, please call the Public Works Department. We’ll come inspect what you need to be picked up, and tell you how much it will be to pick it up. After Public Works gives you a price, please pay at Town Hall. After payment confirmation, we will come pick it up for you!

To obtain a building permit you can call the Rutherford County Building Inspections Office at 828-287-6035

The Town of Rutherfordton does not require a business license.

Close window