Police FAQs

For non-emergencies please call 828-287-3520 ext. 1 for the Town of Rutherfordton or 828-286-2911 for the communication center. For emergencies always call 911!

Please call 828-287-3520 ext. 1.

A: No skateboarding or roller skating is allowed on Town sidewalks, streets, or any private property within the area of the north side of Sixth Street to a line running westerly from the south end of South Cleghorn Street to the south end of Mitchell Street and from the east side of Cleghorn Street (including South Cleghorn Street) to the west side of Mitchell Street. In addition, no bicycles, skateboards, skates, scooters, or similar apparatus may be operated on the sidewalk on the north side of Charlotte Road between U.S. Highway 221 to the U.S. Highway 74 Bypass. Violators will have skateboards and roller skates confiscated and will be subject to fines.

A: If any criminal incident or vehicle crash occurs inside the Town limits of Rutherfordton, the Rutherfordton Police Department will investigate and complete any reports. We have reports here only for incidents that occur inside the Town limits. If a criminal incident occurs outside the Town limits, the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Department will typically investigate and complete any reports. North Carolina Highway Patrol will typically investigate and complete any reports for any vehicle crash that occurs outside of any municipal boundaries.

A.  A party involved in an incident that results in a written report may request a copy of the report by coming by Town Hall during normal business hours (8-5, Monday – Friday) and a copy will be provided without charge. There is a fee that must be paid in advance if an involved party to the incident would like a copy mailed. If a person not named as a party to the incident, or a company requests a copy of a report, there is a fee for in-person pickup or mailing. The fee will be waived for a company if they are named on the report as a victim, owner, etc. The Police Department does not fax copies of reports.

A. Lost & Found Animals
Stray & Feral Animals are subject to seizure by the Town and our agent Rutherford County Animal Services. Animals that have been seized are subject to a 3 day (72 hour) holding period at the Rutherford County Animal Shelter ( 656 Laurel Hill Drive, Rutherfordton, NC 28139) The Shelter may be reached at 828-287-6025. An active posting of found or seized animals is available at Town Hall during normal business hours.

Leash Law
Animals shall be under sufficient physical restraint (leash, cage, fence, etc) at all times. An animal is exempt from being under physical restraint if a responsible adult (18 years old or older) is physically outdoors and directly adjacent to the animal on the land where the owner of the animal resides, and the animal is obedient to that person’s commands.
An animal is considered to be a public nuisance even if it is properly restrained if it has dangerous or destructive propensities; habitual barking or other noise making; or interferes with the use of public streets, sidewalks, or other public areas. (Section 8-2022).

Animals in heat shall be confined in an enclosure that will not allow the animal to come in contact with or attract other animals (Section 8-2015).

Animals over four months old shall be vaccinated against rabies and wear a collar with a vaccination tag and the owner’s name and address are displayed. $50 fine.

To report violations: Call the Rutherfordton Police Department at 287-5062 if any of the following conditions exist:

An animal is unrestrained and running at large and the owner is known.
An animal is destroying property or exhibiting dangerous behavior (such as injuring another animal).
An animal is interfering with the use of public streets, sidewalks, or other public areas or exhibits other nuisance type behavior such as habitual barking.
Cruelty to an animal is suspected or an animal has been abandoned.
An animal is injured, wounded, or diseased and suffering (after hours call 911).
An individual is bitten by an animal (after hours call 911).
Ordinances are applicable ONLY to domesticated animals. For problems involving a wild animal, please contact North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission Enforcement Division at 919-707-0030.

Close window