FAQ Topic: Permits & licensing

How do I obtain a passport?

Passports are issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. You may find information on their website. The USPS also provides information and assistance with applying for passports. The Rutherford County Library serves as a passport acceptance facility.  

How do I get a copy of a birth certificate?

Copies of birth certificates may be obtained through the NC Vital Records Office. You may also obtain copies of birth certificates through the Register of Deeds Office at the Courthouse in which the birth occurred. If a child was adopted the birth certificate may only be obtained through the NC Vital Records Office.

How do I get a marriage license?

The Register of Deeds office at the Rutherford County Courthouse issues marriage licenses for weddings that will take place in Rutherford County, NC.

Close window