FAQ Topic: Zoning and Code Enforcement FAQs

How do I get flood insurance?

Your current insurance agent can help you get flood insurance. Most companies can write a NFIP flood insurance policy for you. If you need more help, www.FloodSmart.gov can provide you with names of local agents that provide NFIP flood insurance. You may also call the toll free number (888) 379-9531 to ask for a flood insurance agent … Continued

How do I find out if a property is in a mapped floodplain?

North Carolina’s Flood Risk Information System (FRIS) North Carolina Flood Mapping System  For official floodplain determinations (mortgages, flood insurance rates, site development), contact the Town Manager by emailing dbarrick@rutherfordton.net. Please provide telephone number, your address, site inquiry address, and a complete description of your request.

Who is required to have flood insurance?

Flood insurance is an important part of protecting your property. Property in a mapped floodplain is five times more likely to be damaged by a flood than by a fire. There is a 26% chance that such a property will be flooded during a 30 year mortgage. In NFIP communities, the federal government requires flood … Continued

Is there a fence ordinance in the Town of Rutherfordton?

In a residential, mixed use, or commercial district, a fence or wall in the established front, side, or rear yard shall be a maximum of six feet in height. We do recommend building all fences or walls 5 feet from property lines.  For a full description of the fence ordinance please see Article 2, section … Continued

Is there a high grass ordinance?

The Town of Rutherfordton does have a high grass ordinance.  Any grass over 12 inches high is in violation.  Weekly checks through town and complaints called in are how violations are found.

How do I schedule extra bulk trash or furniture pickup?

If you have bulky items or extra trash that needs to be picked up, please call the Public Works Department at (828) 287-5961. Public works will come inspect what you need to be picked up, and give an estimate. After Public Works gives you a price, please pay at Town Hall. After payment confirmation, we … Continued

Close window